Specialist in Urology
Special Interests: Prostate Cancer, Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Testis Cancer, Robotic Cancer Surgery (With daVinci Robotic Systems), MBBS (Singapore), MRCS (Edinburgh), MSc (Research)
Dr Chong Kian Tai (张建泰医生) is a certified Urologist who manages both basic General Urology and complex Urologic Cancers. He is a specialist urology surgeon that works well with different treatment choices for optimal outcome. These include (1) traditional open surgery, (2) advanced keyhole laparoscopic and endoscopic surgery, and also (3) the modern Da Vinci robotic surgical operating systems.
Dr Chong completed his full-time advanced Clinical Urologic-Oncology Fellowship at the prestigious Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) in New York, USA in 2009. His key professional expertise includes the diagnosis, treatment and management of prostate, kidney, bladder, testis and penile cancers.
For UROLOGIC CANCERS, Dr Chong concentrates on:
- Focal therapy for prostate cancer – to treat Stage 1 and Stage 2 prostate cancer. This treatment uses robotic HIFU (high intensity focused ultrasound) which has lesser side effects when compared to major surgery.
- MRI-ultrasound fusion prostate biopsy – to detect prostate cancer accurately with better precision after MRI prostate scan.
- Bladder cystoscopy with narrow-band imaging (NBI) – to detect small bladder cancer accurately that are more difficult to diagnose using ordinary white-light cystoscopy.
- Da Vinci robotic partial nephrectomy – to remove small kidney tumours and save remaining unaffected kidney. This prevents kidney failure by preserving more kidney function.
- Da Vinci robotic radical prostatectomy with removal of pelvic lymph nodes – to treat men with Stage 2 and Stage 3 prostate cancer and locally-advanced prostate cancer.
For GENERAL UROLOGY, Dr Chong focuses on:
- Enlarged prostate, also known as BPH (benign prostate hyperplasia) – new procedures that are less invasive than traditional resection surgery. Examples include the UroLift, Rezum and Prolieve procedures.
- Retrograde intrarenal surgery (RIRS) – uses flexible ureteroscope to treat small kidney stones by laser stone surgery. There is no cutting and no surgical scars on the skin.
Prior to private practice, he was the Consultant, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Co-Director of Urologic Oncology and Director of Research in the Department of Urology at Tan Tock Seng Hospital. He also managed the Urology Cancer clinical databases and tissue repository. In the Singapore Cancer Society, he was an Advisory Panel member to improve prostate cancer awareness and survivorship.
Dr Chong is a dynamic healthcare innovator, researcher and educator. He started molecular research in Urologic-Oncology on prostate cancer immunology at Seattle, Washington (USA), which was funded by Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG, USA) and Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR, Singapore). While in Singapore, he was a founding member of the Singapore Urological Cancer Consortium and had been in-charge of several teams in prostate, kidney, bladder and testis cancer research. These projects included precision medicine, biomolecular, nanoparticle, bioimaging and novel biomedical device studies.
To improve holistic care for urological cancer patients in Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Dr Chong was Chairman for the Urology Cancer Multidisciplinary Tumour Board, Chairman for Urology Cancer Support Programme, Chairman for Advanced Care Planning Team, and Chairman for TTSH Prostate Cancer Support Group involving cancer patients and their family.
Dr Chong Kian Tai is also a selected panel specialist on the insurance integrated shield plan for:
- Kidney Cysts
- Hematuria (Blood in the urine)
- Prostate Cancer